“TheCeļotājs” –
Russian Tsar’s Remnants of Karosta Naval Port

 
Karosta Naval Port Northern Breakwater – ANNO 1893 
Lat: N56.55553, Lon E020.98465 
Katedrāles iela 7/13,
Karosta, Liepāja, Latvia
 
                  
 
   
 
This hydro technical construction is closely connected with building Liepaja Naval Fortress and Naval Port construction and it is a very significant part of it. 
 
The authors of breakwater’s project are Russian engineers S. Boreisha, M. Maksimovich and engineer Colonel I. A. McDonald. The technical supervisors were engineer Captain V. Vselov and N. Korsakevic. It cost 2.88 millions Russian Rubles to build the breakwater. It is 1800 meters long “including solid head” and 7.35 meters wide. The building of The Northern Breakwater began on 3 March 1891 “foundation-stone was set on 16 August” and it was completed on 31 October 1893. The head of this breakwater is made from 21 meters long and 12.5 meters wide platform made as a position for cannons. Further on there is 265 meter wide Northern Sea Gate of Liepāja Port.
 
 
On 12 August 1893, the 2/3 of the breakwater were completed and Tsar of Russia Alexander III came to Liepāja. That was his last journey because of his death on 1 November 1894. Using newly constructed building here happened flourish of trumpets of Liepaja Naval Fortress and Baltic Fleet Base. 7, 11 and 36 ton concrete solids were made in the concrete factory next to the breakwater. A special hole was made in one of these concrete solids and there was placed in a big silver memorial plank, golden, silver and cuprous Russian Imperial coins made in 1893 and a special message. In a special cylinder Tsar placed personal standard and flag of the country. After that everyone symbolically bricked up the hole with trowel considering social and state standing. Later on English block crane :Titan” which was also used in construction of the Northerner Breakwater delivered solid till the end of the breakwater and drowned it in to the sea while the workers were hurrying. 
 
It was the first time in the history of building such objects in Russia when wittingly was used concrete solids with irregular shape as a base for construction in the sea, while making hydro technical building of Liepāja Port at the end of the 19th century. This technology still ensures stability of the Northern Breakwater. There were concrete trapeziums placed next to the northern side of breakwater to reduce impact. Today they are replaced with tridents.
 
 
Home
 
 
 
 
Revised: 12/22/2012 – 16:55:00